Employment Type: Full-time
As a fintech business, UnderwriteMe continues to lead technological advances in the protection and life insurance market. We have a team which is at the cutting edge of technology and we also benefit from the backing of our parent company Pacific Life Re. A reinsurance giant, Pacific Life Re provides a wide and detailed view of the market and share our desire to positively transform protection.
Joining UnderwriteMe means being part of a technology company that is committed to bringing a fresh and dynamic approach to insurance. Our team of highly technical experts, made up of people with backgrounds in software, fintech and insurance, have created a range of tools for use in different global locations (to suit local market needs), that allows people to buy and sell protection insurance in an entirely new way.
Purpose of Role
The main purpose of this role is to deliver a first-class platform and service; provide technical guidance and drive continuous improvement of the infrastructure and services to other teams.
The incumbent is accountable for ensuring that infrastructure is built and maintained in line with technical and security specifications.
- Build and configure cloud configurations on the AWS – Cloud Computing Services. In particular install and configure new environments using automated scripts that you create.
- Document procedures and policies that relate to the IT systems you support in particular the application configuration.
- Support the development lifecycle including all types of testing to ensure system performance meets the required standard
- Manage deployments and all changes to the infrastructure and code base in production
- Ensure DR and BCM process and procedures with regular testing of the configurations to ensure fit for purpose
- Create monitoring and regular reports on availability and performance
- Involved in defining the physical architecture and maintaining this as part of an IT roadmap
Qualifications and experience:
- Proven experience in Kubernetes, Terraform, AWS, Linux
- Proven experience in similar Platform Engineering role with hands on exposure of using Kubernetes.
- Demonstrable previous ownership of large infrastructure in data centres and cloud
- Understanding of public clouds and hands on knowledge on building cloud based environments, particularly AWS and container orchestration
- Excellent communication skills, ability to work within cross-functional teams and delivery oriented
- Proven ability writing effective procedures and policies which can be used by other staff and are maintained within a review lifecycle
- Capable of writing code to deliver highl automated infrastructure environments that support the wider IT department using an agile methodology
- Experience operating 24x7x365 customer focused environment
- System administration level knowledge of Linux, Apache, Tomcat.
- Experience of software release management, git flow.
- Security focused
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Working knowledge of JIRA
Competencies and behaviours:
- Demonstrates an appropriate level of technical skills for their role and an appreciation of current issues affecting their profession and the life insurance industry
- Takes responsibility for quality, completeness and accuracy of work
- Shows initiative, flexibility and resourcefulness
- Critically evaluates and challenges current work practices
- Is able to deal with challenging deadlines and prioritise effectively
- Provides accurate and timely updates on status of work and escalates issues appropriately
- Communicates in a clear and practical manner both verbally and in writing
- Has a good timekeeping and attendance record
- Ability to work in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Ability to conduct research into release issues and tools as required
- Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and business languages
- Proven analytical and creative problem-solving abilities
- Highly self-motivated and directed, with keen attention to detail
Working at Home During the Pandemic
At UnderwriteMe we are 100% working from home during the pandemic. We continue to recruit and onboard new hires during this period.
The company has invested in providing a high level of support for our employees as they continue to work from home. This includes regular “tea & talk” sessions, providing suitable home-working equipment, additional holidays and flexible working options, as well as weekly yoga classes and regular social activities. We want to make sure everyone is looked after and supported at this time. We are also contributing to our local communicates by giving staff time off for volunteering activities and making charitable donations.
Please click here to view our Privacy Statement – https://www.underwriteme.co.uk/employee-privacy-notice/
We offer a generous benefits package including a discretionary bonus; stakeholder pension scheme; BUPA; Life Insurance; 25 days holiday; STL; Group Income Protection; subsidised gym membership and more.
As part of our commitment to diversity and inclusion, we will provide reasonable adjustments during the recruitment process to ensure equal access to applicants with disabilities. Please contact us about your needs so that we can discuss these with you to make sure that suitable adjustments are made, where possible.