Department: IT Development
Employment Type: Full-time
Purpose of Role
The main purpose of this role is to deliver and support first class software components in D2C and B2B websites within the Underwriteme estate.
The role is responsible for ensuring that development work is delivered in line with technical specifications and specified project timeframes.
Design, build, maintain and support high-quality software components in both D2C and B2B websites, targeting both mobile and desktop platforms according to published standards and guidelines
Ensure software is built in a standard, consistent manner by creating and maintaining unit tests as part of TDD (Test Driven Development) and following development procedures, style guides, etc
Participate in an Agile SCRUM environment, supporting deployments where necessary
Propose and assess solutions to design problems, including identifying and evaluating new technologies and third party components.
- Software developed is built in a standard, consistent manner
- Development work is delivered within agreed project deadlines
- Minimal errors identified in technical work
- Accurate and timely updates on status of work provided, with issues escalated as appropriate
- Positive feedback from colleagues and project teams
Qualifications and Experience
- Full-stack Java knowledge and experience.
- Front-end development knowledge and experience.
- Understanding of fundamental CS concepts (data structures, algorithms, design patterns).
- Demonstrable experience building secure Internet-facing websites.
- Demonstrable ability to deliver high quality products to sometimes challenging timescales.
- Qualified to degree level (2:1 or above) in a relevant subject, or equivalent experience
Competencies and Behaviours
- Ability to work efficiently in a fast-paced working environment
- Shows initiative, flexibility and resourcefulness
- Is a committed team member who openly shares information, knowledge, and experience
- Takes responsibility for quality, completeness and accuracy of work
- Provides accurate and timely updates on status of work and escalates issues appropriately
- Ability to deal with non-standard requests/work, sometimes at short notice.